5.21.2010

16-5-2010

Jhonatan proposed a toast to his twin brother, José Luis, with the coke.

The kids enjoyed the chocolates.

Franklin loved the crisps.

Today was a special days for some of the kids, because it's family visit day. All of them anticipated so much, as they don't see their families very often, that is if they have any. But it's not as exciting as it sounds, because a lot of them don't have any families or their folks couldn't come. It's really heartbreaking to see them waiting and waiting and no one came to see them. Fortunately for some, they got to enjoy a day with their families, talking with them while enjoying some snacks that they brought for the kids.

The unfortunate lot, though dressed neatly, just spent the day waiting. Some of the teenagers were really bothered and in silence all day, while the little ones kept asking for mama. It's a brutal scene, and i deeply felt for them. I thought I must do something to make them feel at least a little better, so I went out and bought loads of treats like crisps, chocolate and coke. I went to their room, and pretended that I visited them! I told them Tio Ryan came and visited them, and they were all excited. They ran to me and gave me hugs, and we shared all the snacks together. Although they seemed happier, I felt so afflicted when they came and gave me the hugs, and all I could do was to hug them tightly, give them kisses and the love they deserve.

In the evening when I was all ready to sleep, Tia Sonia knocked on my door and told me that there's a gathering of the tios serving an indigenous dish called tamal. I've heard it many times but never tried it. It's exactly like the sticky rice dumplings that are served principally during the Dragon Boat Festival of China, as it's made of rice, pork and its fat, and wrapped in some kind of leaves. So I told them the story behind the Chinese sticky rice dumplings while we ate the tamales. And they asked me some Chinese words as well. It was a good time for cultural exchange, as well as a good time for all of us to chill out and chat, as all the time we spend together involves dealing with children, and sometimes it's not exactly relaxing.


2 comments:

  1. i sobbed a bit hearing the kids' stories... hope they are fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know! it´s agonizing....by we are much closer now, and i try to spend as much time and give as much love to them as much as possible. and buy them snacks and toys....

    ReplyDelete