5.21.2010

15-5-2010

Lemar't and I made a playdoh glasses together during therapy. He LOVED it!

Carlos Abel and Jefferson cutting a tee shirt for cleaning.

Finally Jefferson was willing to share the chores.


Today as usual I helped the kids clean their room in the morning. Jefferson was still unwilling to share the chores since he moved from kinder to primary a couple months ago, and the tias have been very frustrated. So I stepped in and did a bit of 'therapy' with him. At first, he kept saying that he didn't want to do it, so I tried to explain to him the importance of cleaning and show him that everyone was doing it together. He had shown some understanding and became less fussed, but still very reluctant to do them. Subsequently, I forced him to do so, and naturally he cried and tried to avoid forcefully. Well, little did he know that I am expert in dealing with these kinds of issues, and after a while he was willing to do it on his own. While it was a good lesson for him, I was exhausted after that! But it was well worth it, because he needed to realize his responsibility. Also, the tias and some elder kids saw that, which I didn't even realize as I was concentrated with it, and they all praised the work that I did. It made me feel really good that they appreciated the work that I do, but it's just a matter of extensive experience I have with troubled children, as well as teaching from the Bible (read Proverbs 19:18) which helps me a lot not just teaching kids but dealing with life issues as well. Another aspect which is very important is to reinforce them when they do something good and to give them love when they need it. With that, the kids will behave well while love and respect you. Science couldn't be more accurate: Just before lunch, the niƱos including Jefferson invited me to play hide and seek with them, and they LOVED being tickled!
There is some progress with Alonso's affection issue, as in various occasions this week he seemed more cheerful, at least with me, and loved me hugging and tickling him. Even one time he cried because it hurt a bit when a tia cut his nails, he hid between the cabinets. So I took his hand and took him out, telling him that it's not so serious and there's no wound, and then comfort him. Then I told him, ¨And also now there's a beautiful face¨ by pointing his lips to the smiley direction, and he smiled again. It's a huge step for him as he used to shut down and refuse contact with others when he's bothered. He's a lovely boy, and I enjoy spending time with him so much. Whenever he plays now, he would say, ¨Tio Ryan, look! This is a train (or other things)!¨

On the other hand, there's one thing I'm enjoying so much right now is that everyday the little ones would run to me, screamed my name and give me hugs! This really is a priceless gift I have ever received!

No comments:

Post a Comment