9.24.2010

23-9-2010: Day 13, Sangalle, Cañón del Colca

It´s like a tropical paradise that the surrounding is so lush and green!

A pool that the water is streamed from the mountain. It felt so good to swim in a natural pool with no chlorine!


Almost like a little island between the canyon, this oasis features so many types of plants including banana plants and palm trees.

At 2pm, I started hiking back up to Cabanaconde, an altiplano (highland) town at 3200m.

I´m half way through!

Finally I reached the top! It was so beautiful with massive active Inca terrancing.

Beautiful scenery behind an Inca wall.



I woke up at around 7:30am, so I slept 12 hours straight! Well, thanks to the 9-5 hike yesterday. After washing up, I immediately went out to the pool and enjoyed a little bit of ´luxury´in life! haha. I sunbathed, swam and sunbathed again. I didn´t get a cocktail, but a bottle a Fanta which easily costed like a cocktail! 5 nuevo soles, well, like I said, I need a bit of luxury. It was fantastic! I almost forgot how much I love tropical weather!
At about 2pm, I started climbing up another way back to Cabanaconde, which supposedly take 3-4 hours depending on your speed. Over 1200m climb, it´s not going to be picnic but I was mentally prepared. When I looked down to the oasis again, I couldn´t seem to say goodbye. It was such a lovely rest for me. The hike wasn´t as bad as I thought, although it´s steep and rocky. There was a pair of French Canadians and their guide walking along with me. Suddenly, the guide yelled, "Cóndor!" There it was, a cóndor gliding around the canyon. It flew under the sun but suddenly disappeared as if it had flew into the solar planet. It was such a mermerizing scene. After almost 3 hours, I made it to the top. When I saw Cabanaconde from afar and its Inca terrancing, it was as if I saw light again. It was such a satisfying experience. As the sun started to set, I wearily walked back to my hostal and got ready for tomorrow´s travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment