9.12.2010

12-9-2010: Day 2, the Sacred Valley

The massive Inca ruin in Ollantaytambo with a touristy market below.

Local woman walked in one of the narrow cobblestone streets in Ollanta.

A local home in Pisaq raising cuyes (guinea pigs) as their staple food. They just ran around!


Me in the Pisaq Sunday market looking at the coloring paints.

Local women in local costumes holding a baby alpaca in hope of getting a picture taken with a tourist.

Beautiful Andean mountains behind the town of Pisaq.


Being in lower elevation definitely helped me with the altitude sickness a lot, and now I can enjoy a bit more of my traveling although I still need to be careful as it´s still quite high. I woke up at around 6:30am and got myself ready to go to Pisaq, one of the Inca towns that still exist in the modern day. It was a beautiful ride with ancient ruins passing by and gorgeous Andean mountains.

Upon arrival, there were tons of tour operators and taxi drivers offering help. I seemed to be the only independent traveler around this time, as most came in groups and I didn´t meet anyone in the micro nor the bus. The Pisaq Sunday market is a weekly fare and it is very touristy. I didn´t spend much time there even though the scenary was stunning. Then I headed to Ollantaytambo via Urubamba, which are another important towns in the Scared Valley. Even though Ollanta is quite stunning with an huge ancient ruin as the backdrop, it is even more touristy! I was denied to be served in a restaurant because it was just for the locals. But what made me mad was that they lied to me by saying the food was finished! I found it out by talking to a local in the next table. I guess I will have to cope with more touristy experiences in the next few days or even weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment