2.26.2010

24-2-2010

My new good friend, Julio
,

Another baby and good friend, Claudio, has a big smile on his face.

Little Franklin


The kids were having lunch at the field.


The babies had their lunches as well.

Because insects had been a big problem: Ants everywhere, crawling over food, our clothes, bathrooms; wood ants or some sort of insects chewing up our wooden roofs and bits kept falling all over in our rooms; flies, spiders and numerous other unknown creatures had been hanging around like our roommates ...... it's time for fumigation today. It means we couldn't hang out in our rooms for the whole day. So, we went for a walk to Plaza de Armas of Lunahuaná. On the way there I was with little Samanta, who is actually really sweet but with poor coordination and gross motor skills. And the pair of sandals she had on was way too big for her, so she was very crumbly when we were walking together and at one point she was tripped and fell. She started crying, so I brushed off the dust on her legs and carried her a bit. Once she stopped, I put her down as she's actually quite heavy for such a tiny person. What I didn't realize was that her knee was cut and it was bleeding since I noticed blood stains on my white tee! So, we went to a hotel nearby and asked for first aid kits. The señor was very nice and gave us some cotton and medical solution. She was a brave girl, and didn't cry and kept walking by herself afterwards!

Once we reached the field at the university, the boys played football, while others played swings, running around, exploring the surroundings, and playing cards. After a while, Lemar't and I went to get some cremolada (a local dessert made with ice and real fruits, and I'll talk more about Peruvian food later in detail), and the big smile on his face definitely worths millions more than that 1 sol (about 0.3 cents USD) of the cup of cremolada! When we were on our way back to the field, most of the kids were gone, and so Lemar't and I walked back with the boys. It's tough work for him as it's a hot and sunny day, and it takes about 45 minutes for the walk. So I got a bottle of soda for him, although I carried him most of the way. He was really good the whole time despite tiredness and hot weather with minimal shade.

We had lunch in the backyard of our home, as the dining room was fumigated as well. It was actually quite fun, as it's like a picnic. Since it was so hot, Tia Sonia suggested a "carnival", by carnival she meant throwing water at us! Of course we paid our revenge, and many of us, including myself, was completely soaked! We didn't do that with the little kids, but they loved it and kept asking us to get them wet! Little Alonso was really funny, as he filled his balloon with water and tried to throw water at me, but before he did that, I squeezed the bottom of the balloon and the water reached all over his face! And he did that three or four times, and giggled each time! It was so cute that I wish I had it on film! Lemar't, on the other hand, didn't like it so much......it was the first time he didn't want to hug me as I was soaking wet! One thing I notice is that Lemar't is very neat, just like me!!!! No wonder we get along so well! LOL

The kids by now know that I'm the uncle with candies all the time, so they always ask me and some even squeeze my pocket and try to go into it! But of course by now they know as well that the candies are for those who behave well. However, it doesn't really stop them from asking whenever they see me! It's a bit more complex here as I'm their psychologist, teacher, mate and uncle at the same time, but I always try to make them learn how to earn treats, and what they'd lose if they don't behave. It's been working quite well actually, and I think it continues to blossom.

Anyway, It was a nice fun and relaxing day for a change, and I haven't been this tired since I got here, but it was certainly fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment