2.26.2010

18-2-2010

Group 1, above: Gregorio, me, Daniel, Moises, Ernulfo
Below: Rosa, Leticia, Vilma, Silvia



One of the youth groups showing their self-portraits.


Group 3 of the youth group, above: Milagros
Below: ( from left) Franklin, Rafael, Benito and Jhon Carlos (center)


Group 2, above: Abel, Hector, Elvis, Kevin
Below: Anita, Augustina, Ayita, Adela, Liz, Sara

The home's atmosphere couldn't be more sad as the five kids had left and it's Tio Wynn last day here. Last night we were invited to go to the home of the carpenter's teacher who treated us with a local dish, local wine and Inca Kola. It was a send off gathering for Wynn, and again we felt profoundly the Peruvian hospitality. Today, I spent a bit of time with him while he was packing, and we finalized some of the things needed to be done. I felt he was a bit anxious, but after all, it's a huge deal going to a ruined country with very limited resources and work there. I'm proud of him doing this for all of us. One good thing is that he finally admits that I'm ALWAYS right! LOL Anyway, it's a good humorous moment for such sad occasion. I also gave him a goodie bag, just like I did with the five kids. I guess anyone could use a treat, especially facing a few months of tough work.

The next morning, it felt so weird as the dining room is so empty. When it felt like everyone's leaving, it was an especially difficult moment for these kids because they have already lost their families, and it's tough to see so many people leaving at around the same time. I mean, it's hard for me too! While some cried during breakfast, the ones at my table joked that they were leaving too. Even though I felt the pain too, all I could do was to encourage them and make them feel secure again. It's all temporary sentiment, and I hope they will feel fine again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment