7.20.2012

16-7-2012


Claudio and Julio, 2 best buds.

Me with Franco, Jenny and Lemar't out in the field after a window falling incident!

Antoni, my darling, with our kisses.

Lemar't and his new outfit.

A super excited child and a super excited tío!

After a week of intensive visits of the entire home, Virginia and I have loads of ideas to do with each home.  It's just a matter of sorting out the logistics and facing the reality that we actually don't have enough time and labor to do everything that we want.  It is much easier this year with a lot of improvement in terms of living conditions, policy, etc, but at the same time some of the core issues still are evident and i don't think it will ever change.  Actually I have become a good support for the rest of the volunteers because I completely understand and feel for their frustrations and it is indeed difficult to work in such conditions.  But at the end of the day, it is the children that matters.  Ok, enough of the politics, it has been heaven being with the kids!  Bittersweet, super sweet, sad, contented, all these emotions come across all throughout the week and it is indeed a bit hard to take in just one week.

The biggest shock was probably meeting a child name Evaristo, who was being rescued from the street with no home whatsoever.  What's worse is that no one knows when he was born, meaning that we don't know when his birthday is.  Can you imagine yourself not knowing your own birthday?  It is plainly awful.  Certain things in life that we take for granted we should really appreciate.  He has some sort of violent tendency, but given his background it is completely understandable.  Besides, he is just a child and very sweet.  

The girls section has improved so much that all the girls that were really cross before are now very happy.  It just makes me feel so good that they are much happier now.  Thanks to Tia Maria who has made such a difference in the home.  She is such an initiative, creative and super loving and caring tia who genuinely cares about the girls.  Bravo Tia!  We all love you!

Kinder, on the other hand, has had tremendous changes.  All the tias whom I trained were all gone and replaced by some mediocre or even below average ones.  One of them actually expressed to us that she is here for the money and will quit in a year time.  Another was just not apt to work with the little ones.  For instance, yesterday I realized that Lemar't had a fever once I picked him up, but then she insisted that he was ok.  So I asked for a thermometer, and she actually put the metal bit out instead of inside of his armpit!  Finally we knew that his temperature was 37.5c and she gave him some medicine.

Kinder was just divine though!  All of them have grown so much, not surprising!  But as their tio Ryan I am super pleased and happy.  Claudio can speak so much!  One of the triplets, Antony, is just super cute.  Every time I carry him, he would kiss me on the lips over and over again!  Jenny is just as sweet as ever who always give me hugs and big smiles.  Franco is just a comedian!  He is not verbal at all, but always carries his big smile on his face, and always asks for attention.  Last but not least, my dear Lemar't, is trying to speak so much although his articulation is quite poor.  But he is a lot more outgoing now.  Sometimes he calls me "Papi"!  And whenever he sees me I can see an angel in him.  

The rest of the children and older kids are also very sweet as well.  Francesco, for instance, still tells me how nice I was to him when he first came in, and always said "I love you, tio!"  He always jumps on me and let me carry him.  I really do love him too.  Every time I see Milagros and Myra, they always give me the biggest hugs.  And even those who don't express themselves very much usually had said some of the most beautiful words to me during our dinner.  Really, my return has made them feel that I truly care about them.  And really I do!  They are my family, and always will!

No comments:

Post a Comment